Call for proposals
Sub-Saharan Africa, 2017
Reminder for existing BID grant recipients: The maximum amount that any single applicant may receive from the BID programme is €60,000. The combined total received by any applicant under all rounds of BID calls cannot exceed this limit.
GBIF invites the submission of concept notes for project funding from sub-Saharan Africa through Biodiversity Information for Development (BID), a programme funded by the European Union. The deadline for submissions is 9 April 2017, midnight CET / 2300 UTC/GMT.
The total potential funding assigned to this call is €400,000, and applicants successful in this round will receive invitations to submit full proposals in May 2017.
This call, like those that preceded it, seeks to support projects from sub-Saharan Africa that:
- Mobilize biodiversity data relating to protected areas, threatened species, and invasive alien species
- Use and extend best practices for digitizing natural history collections and mobilizing other biodiversity data
- Apply biodiversity data in support of decision-making and research
- Develop lasting national, regional or thematic networks to support ongoing data sharing and reuse
The call offers support for two grant types:
- National grants that establish or strengthen national biodiversity information facilities and to increase the biodiversity data available about the country to respond to national priorities. Up to €40,000 will be made available per national grant.
- Small grants that mobilize biodiversity data relevant for biodiversity conservation priorities, with a maximum funding of €20,000.
Application process and timeline
A panel of international experts with experience in the region will evaluate applications through a competitive two-stage process.
- Applicants must submit initial concept notes using the provided template by 9 April 2017.
- Based on the panels’ recommendations, GBIF will invite a select group of applicants to prepare full proposals, expected to be due in July 2017.
- Following the panel’s final review and selection, funded projects will start in October 2017. GBIF expects to announce these projects publicly by November 2017.
BID mailing list
This programme is funded by the European Union.